LIST OF EXHIBITORS
- Centre of Exellence “Universities for Science, Informatics and Technologies in the eSociety” (UNITe)
- Center of Excellence in Mechatronics and Clean Technologies
- Center of Competence HITMOBIL – Technologies for generation, storing and consumption of clean energy
- Center of Competence – Fundamental, translational and clinical investigations on infections and immunity
- Creation and Development of a Center of Competence “Quantum Communication, Intelligent Security Systems and Risk Management” (QUASAR)
- Center of Competence in Personalised Medicine, 3D and Telemedicine, Robot-assisted and Minimally Invasive Surgery
- Center of Excellence in Informatics and Information and Communication Technologies
- Center of Competence “Intelligent Mechatronic, Eco-and energy-saving Systems and Technologies”
- Centre of Competence “Clean technologies for sustainable environment – waters, waste, energy for circular economy” (Clean&Circle)
- Centre of Competence “Digitization of The Economy in an Environment of Big Data”
- Center of Competence “Personalized Innovative Medicine” (PERIMED)
- Creation and Development of “Heritage BG” Centre of Excellence
- Science and Technology Park “Sofia Tech Park” – Laboratory Complex
- Sustainable utilization of bio-resources and waste of medicinal and aromatic plants for innovative bioactive products
- Distributed Infrastructure of Centers for Synthesis and Characterization of New materials and Conservation of Archeological and Ethnographic Artefacts
- „New opportunities in relation to ICT-based systems and models for Bulgaria’s continued participation in SHARE and joining to SHARE ERIC”
- Creation and Development of a Center of Competence “Quantum Communication, Intelligent Security Systems and Risk Management” (QUASAR)
- National Scientific Infrastructure Energy Storage and Hydrogen Energetics (ESHER)
- The National University Complex for Biomedical and Translational Research (NUCBTR)
- Research Infrastructure Cell Technologies in Biomedicine/Infraact/ of The National Roadmap for Research Infrastructure 2017-2023
Project BG05M2ОP001-1.001-0004 “Universities for Science, Informatics and Technologies in the eSociety” (UNITe)
The Project BG05M2OP001-1.001-0004 „Universities for Science, Informatics and Technologies in eSociety“ (UNITe) is funded by the Operational Programme Science and Education for Smart Growth (OP SESG), whereas 85% comes from European Regional Development Fund (ERDF), and 15% is national cofunding. The project timeframe is 6 years, starting on 28 February 2018 and finishing on 31 December 2023.
The UNITe project was ranked with the highest scores under the call of the OP SESG, and is funded for creation and development of a Centre of Excellence (CoE) in the priority axis Informatics and Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) of the Innovation Strategy for Smart Specialization (ISSS) of the Republic of Bulgaria. The grant is 29 781 882,42 BGN, 75% are foreseen for building research infrastructures (buildings with specialized research labs, unique software and technical equipment).
Five universities participate in the project– academic centres with a long history and significant scientific achievements in the ICT field: Sofia University “St. Kliment Ohridski” (leading partner), Technical University – Sofia, Ruse University “Angel Kanchev”, University “Prof. Dr. Assen Zlatarov” Burgas, and Shumen University “Bishop Konstantin Preslavsky”.
Interest to participate in the project activities have declared 16 associated partners – comprising Bulgarian and European universities, research institutes, leading ICT companies, NGOs, public bodies and secondary schools. The municipalities of Sofia, Burgas, Ruse and Shumen, where the UNITe partners are located, have presented letters of support to the project. Several researchers from Germany, Greece, France, Ireland, Korea, North Macedonia, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Spain, Switzerland, UK, etc. have also declared their interest in collaboration with UNITe.
The main goal of the project is the creation and further development of the Centre of Excellence with Distributed Research Infrastructure (DRI) UNITe as a competitive and internationally recognised research complex, meeting the requirements of a modern infrastructure and excellent research in the priority axis Informatics and ICT.
The specific objectives of the CoE UNITe are:
- Strengthening the capabilities of Bulgarian researchers to collaborate at national and international levels using the established Distributed Research Infrastructure;
- Fostering the scientific support to the businesses in Bulgarian regions by providing access to high-quality Distributed Research Infrastructure and consultation services, especially to small and medium enterprises, and young entrepreneurs;
- Facilitating the communication and the information exchange between remote organisations by using advanced ICTs, and thus, supporting new forms of work organization and business processes.
The distributed research infrastructure of UNITe has direct impact on all 6 geographical regions in the country taking into account the geographical coverage of the partners universities and their branches.
The following characteristics make the Centre of Excellence UNITe valuable and modern Distributed Research Infrastructure, needed by the new generations of researchers and innovators:
- ACCESS and SHARING
- Computer and communication resources distributed throughout the country;
- Remote access and shared use of distributed research infrastructure.
- CREATION and RECOGNITION
- Joint management structure and communication strategy;
- Joint projects for knowledge creation (teamwork);
- Synergy and complementarity.
- COOPERATION and CARRIER DEVELOPMENT
- Coherent scientific work package activities;
- Strategic development of human resources;
- Continuous flow of human potential.
The UNITe research work packages aim at specific contributions to the development of the priority axis ICT of ISIS. They are a cross section of shared areas of excellent research of the five universities unified to meet the OP SESG goals.
The work packages aim to resolve several challenges related to ICT implementation:
- development of smart and sustainable cities using advanced ICT solutions for management of transport, energy consumption, urban planning and smart living environments;
- development of Factories of the Future and transition to Industry 4.0 requiring ubiquitous use of digital technologies in enterprises, and optimization of their business processes by introduction of advanced ICTs;
- development of Cyber-physical systems ensuring users better control and interaction with the physical world, and finding presently application in medicine, traffic control and safety, production processes control, distributed robotic systems, distributed monitoring, management and control, bio-systems, etc.;
- validating Future Internet technologies, products and services and their application to related areas by experiments in real-life environments.
- Some of the scientific activities have horizontal impact and affect all economic and social areas, in which ICT is used. They will contribute for resolving the challenges of economy and society for:
- taking full advantage of the available Big Data and facilitating their usage by all interested stakeholders;
- ensuring seamless, reliable and secure connectivity of an increasing number of devices in smart environments;
- virtualization of real-time systems;
- digitization, visualization and representation of objects, locations, and events;
- building the basis for the next generation of materials and components through advanced research in nano-physics, quantum information, quantum chemistry bio-informatics, and nano-materials;
- development of new mathematical and statistical methods and algorithms supporting Big Data processing and analyses, as well as the design of new cryptographic algorithms, systems and processes optimization, etc.
In order to ensure continuity in scientific excellence, as well as sustainable development of science and higher education in the field of ICT, the CoE UNITe envisages special measures for attracting young talents and facilitating the ICT career development of PhD students and young scientists. At the same time, with its knowledge transfer activities and collaboration with various stakeholders the project will facilitate the digital transformation of Bulgarian economy and society. The achievement of high technological readiness of enterprises, and the intensive use of ICTs will be a key factor for higher competitiveness and economic growth.
After the project end by 2023, the UNITe CoE will continue to operate as a recognized highly competitive and internationally recognized research complex.
Address: 1164 Sofia, 5, James Bourchier Blvd., Room 203
The goal of the project National Center for Mechatronics and Clean Technologies with coordinator the Institute of General and Inorganic Chemistry – BAS, is to achieve a qualitatively new level of knowledge in several mutually overlapping economic segments – mechatronics and clean technologies through the development of specific scientific methods and tools, to realize intelligent design through the development of specific scientific methods and tools, to plan and operate the material resources, energy systems and mechatronic components.
The main philosophy of creating a National Center of Excellence in the area of Mechatronics and Clean Technologies (M&CT) was to unify the most powerful scientific teams in Bulgaria within the thematic M&CT area, as well as to attract suitable associated partners from the country (business organizations) and from abroad (scientific organizations). In this sense the establishment of a Center of Excellence in Mechatronics and Clean Technologies is based on the principle of “complementarity-synergism” and unites leading scientific groups from the institutes of the Bulgarian Academy of Sciences (a total of 12) and universities – Sofia University St. Kliment Ohridski, Technical University – Sofia, Technical University-Varna, Technical University – Gabrovo and University of Chemical Technology and Metallurgy – Sofia. The role of each of the partner organizations is to coordinate, organize and conduct independent research activities in the field of mechatronics and clean technologies. To create closer business relationships Mechatronics Cluster (unifying the main business structures in the field of mechatronics), Borima EAD (leading producer of some mechatronic products on the Balkans) and Sofia TechPark (R&D Association) have been attracted as associate partners based on a publicly announced competition. In order to ensure a higher scientific level of the Center, research structures from two world renowned universities (University of Jerusalem in Tel Aviv and Technical University of Delft) as well as the Institute of Robotics and Intelligent Systems at the Federal Technical University, Zurich, have been attracted as associated partners.
A specific infrastructure that entirely falls within the scope of the definition “research infrastructure” will be built within the framework of the Center. It includes the construction of three complexes equipped with unique facilities: Technical University Complex – specialized in the field of mechatronics; Lozenets Complex – focused on the field of clean technologies; and Geo Milev Complex – covering the areas of mechatronics and clean technologies. The new type of infrastructure will enrich and deepen research in the field of mechatronics and clean technologies, will promote the transfer of knowledge and experience between related areas of chemistry, physics and materials science, and will help to create competitive and interdisciplinary research teams that are capable of successful participation in other programs and competitions. The complex equipment will not only contribute to a significant increase of the level of fundamental scientific research, but will also further be used for solving tasks important for the industry.
The research program of the project aims at the development of specific scientific methods and tools for the intelligent design, planning and operation of material resources, energy systems and mechatronic components. It is structured into four Work Packages (WP) that are thematically oriented in harmony with the priority directions of Innovation strategy for smart specialization of the Republic of Bulgaria 2014-2020 (IS3):
WP1 Computer modeling and development of technologies and new materials for engineering and re-engineering;
WP2 Electronic, optic, sensor and bio-mechatronic systems and technologies;
WP3 Mechatronic systems and technologies;
WP4 Clean energy and green technologies.
The topics are selected to be in accordance with the main economic challenges: transition to high-tech and resource-efficient production and low-carbon and circular economy. The implementation of these activities is necessary in order to put the research foundation in Bulgaria to accelerate its transition from the group of “modest innovators” to the group of “moderate innovators” – a strategic goal of Bulgaria in order to address societal challenges.
Modern and competitive research Center will be built in accordance with the program. The center will provide opportunities for research excellence in line with the best international standards and practices, will contribute to strengthening and intensifying research, technological development and innovation, and for the creation of an institution that will be a leader in the M&CT area of the country and the region.
The successful realization of the R&D plan of the project National Center for Mechatronics and Clean Technologies will ensure implementation and practical application of innovative and internationally significant research; construction of multidisciplinary research teams and creation of conditions for transparent career of researchers and professional training of students; transfer of knowledge and innovation; realization of long-term cooperation with leading European partners; distribution of research results; providing the potential for improvement of the entire range of the value chain, including research and development, commercialization of the results and resolving the socio-economic challenges in the field of Mechatronics and clean technologies. In this way the Center will achieve added value to the implementation of Bulgaria’s Sustainable and Smart Growth Program.
Slogan: Creating together;
Institute of General and Inorganic Chemistry – www.igic.bas.bg
Center of Competence HITMOBIL – Technologies for generation, storing and consumption of clean energy
Leading organisation: Institute of Electrochemistry and Energy Systems „Аcad. Evgeni Budevski” – BAS
Partners: Joint Innovation Center – BAS, Institute of Chemical Engineering – BAS, Institute of Catalysis – BAS, Institute of General and Inorganic Chemistry – BAS, Institute of Polymers – BAS, Central Laboratory of Solar Energy and New Energy Sources – BAS, Institute of Hydrogen Technologies – Bulgarian Hydrogen Society, South-West University „Neofit Rilski”, Association „Scientific Institute of Clean Technologies”
Associated partners: National Research Council – Institute for Advanced Energy Technologies „Nicola Giordano” (CNR-ITAE), Italy; Institute of Engineering Thermodynamics – German Aerospace Center (DLR), Germany; AMG Technology Ltd., Bulgaria; A Data Pro Ltd., Bulgaria
The mission of CoC HITMOBIL is to promote the development and accelerate the introduction of innovative technologies for renewable energy storage (RES) and efficient use in the household and industry, with a focus on electromobility. The Center’s thematic area is directly linked to Bulgaria’s commitments to implementing the European program for development of decarbonisation and accelerating the clean energy innovations. It is grounded on the Europe Strategy for the Development of a Low Carbon and Resource Efficient Economy (2020 and 2050), European Strategic Energy Technologies Plan (SET-Plan) and the priority area „Mechatronics and Clean Technologies” of the National Innovative Strategy for Intelligent Specialization (ISIS).
The main objective of the Center is building а research infrastructure for development, testing, optimization and industrial deployment of modern systems for mobility and energy storage unique on national and regional level.
CoC HITMOBIL will conduct market-oriented research and develop new technologies and systems in key areas covering the „green” energy cycle: RES (Solar/Wind/Biomass) – Storage (Batteries and Hydrogen) – Conversion and Consumption.
The structure of CoC HITMOBIL includes two technological modules and one module for transfer and dissemination of knowledge and applied scientific information.
Module „Industrial Research” is designed as an innovation incubator with four research laboratories for applied research, including:
- development of components and cells production technologies for new or improved batteries with increased service life for primary and secondary energy storage; development of reliable methods for diagnostics and assessment of the batteries state of charge and state of health; development of recycling technologies;
- technological research of highly efficient solar cells, new prototypes of photovoltaic modules, their testing and integration in energy storage systems; evaluation and certification of industrial products;
- developing and testing of innovative concepts for fuel cells, hydrogen generators and reversible regenerative systems, including monitoring and diagnostics;
- hydrogen production form biomass and waste reforming using innovative processes and technologies.
Module „Experimental development“ consists of two laboratories that will, if necessary, work with some of their components as „field” demonstration laboratories. The activities are focused on the scaling of laboratory prototypes, testing and validation of pre-industrial energy conversion and storage systems; participation in demonstration and pilot projects; preparation of harmonized tests and protocols, instructions and recommendations for real operation.
Module „Knowledge Management and Technology Transfer“ includes horizontal activities to ensure the efficient integration and functioning of CoC HITMOBIL as a distributed research infrastructure, including electronic science, intellectual property, security technology, knowledge dissemination and technological transfer.
Expected benefits of the project
- Formation of expert potential and a society that promote the development of „green” energy technologies;
- Strengthening the „science-education-business” relationship with a focus on the practical component of the education cycle;
- Participation of Bulgarian scientists and innovative companies in large demonstration projects (European and national), which is a prerequisite for accelerated introduction of modern energy technologies into the economy and everyday life;
- Creating a new economic niche with a positive impact on the environment, which in long term will have a beneficial effect on human health and quality of life;
- Enhancing private investment in applied research with a focus on the technological development and innovations;
- Assistance to the state authorities in the establishment of regulatory framework necessary for commercialization of the new energy technologies;
- Contribution to the implementation of the national targets for reduced harmful emissions and efficient use of renewable energy set in the Integrated Plan for Energy and Climate of Bulgaria (2020-2030).
Center of Competence – Fundamental, translational and clinical investigations on infections and immunity
Strategic objective: fast and efficient transfer of basic research data in the field of infections and immunity to clinical practice for the needs of individual and public health.
The Center of Competence shall respond to two contemporary challenges: the emerging and re-emerging infections with social impact, and the ever increasing antimicrobial resistance
PROJECT IMPLEMENTATION STAGES
1. Creation of unique research complex in the field of infectious diseases & immunology
2. Performing research programs in several areas:
- Precise and exhaustive definition of etiological agents from the host and the environment;
- Molecular epidemiology of infections with significant social impact
- Drug resistance of pathogenic microorganisms
- Defining and improving the immune response to pathogens
3. Producing scientific results for direct practical application
The National Center of Infectious and Parasitic Diseases
Established in 1881, NCIPD is the oldest state research institution in the field of public health, developing strategies and policies for prevention of infectious diseases
Institute of Microbiology, Bulgarian Academy of Sciences (Imb-BAS)
With long term traditions in the development of products, technologies, animal and in vitro models for preclinical studies and their application in medicine and bio-industry
National Diagnostic Research Veterinary Medicine Institute (NDRVMI) is the only specialized state institution for research, diagnostics and expertize in the field of animal
Department of Clinical microbiology at the Medical Institute of the Ministry of Interior (MI-MoI) experienced in the fields of antibiotics resistance and policies for antibiotics application in hospital settings; nosocomial infections control, biosafety
TOTAL BUDGET: 23 638 258 BGN: (68% for specialized equipment and software)
IMPLEMENTATION PERIOD: 09.2018 – 12. 2023
WP1 Establishment of unique Research and Training complex (incl. Reconstruction of existing laboratories, procurement and installation of basic and accessory lab equipment and IT support) in several units: two BSL 3 Laboratories for handling extremely dangerous bacteria and viruses; Expert laboratory for molecular-genetic analysis with New generation sequencing (NGS) of viruses; Expert laboratory for molecular, genetic, spectrometric and proteomic analysis. Expert laboratory for electron microscopy and morphological analysis; Expert laboratory for complex immunological analysis; Biological Bank and Training Center.
WP2. Identification of microorganisms and analysis of circulating pathogens (molecular epidemiology: upgraded ability for identification, surveillance and control of infectious and parasitic diseases, early discovery and of epidemics, detection of potential bioterrorist agents
WP3. Drug resistance studies: frequency and mechanisms of drug-resistance among circulating bacterial, viral, parasitic strains; timely detection of emerging high-risk resistant strains, generation of data for development of policies for antibiotics application
WP4. Immune response to microorganisms
Approaches for estimation and recovery of protective immunity to infections: complex evaluation of immune response to microorganisms at the systemic and local level using innovative microinvasive and highly sensitive methods; development of diagnostic algorhythms, prototypes of immunotherapeutics and immunomodulators
- Quick and exact detection of infectious microorganisms, including new and reemerging ones
- Prevention of epidemics from emerging and reemerging pathogens
- Adequate therapy and strategies for antibiotics application in hospital settings and in the course of epidemics
- Prognosis and focused prevention of infections with social impact
- Innovative approaches for evaluation and improvement of immunity to infections
- Training and working in improved dynamic environment
- National and international networking for research and training
- Strategic partnerships with leading European and international R&D and business companies
- development of port-folio with intellectual property rights as a prerequisite for sustainability of the center
WHERE WE ARE
- Contracts for procurement of equipment for over 1 700 000 BGN
- Ongoing public tender procedures for basic equipment and investment projects for over 4 400 000 BGN
- Pilot “micro” projects on specific research problems starting in Jan 2020
National Center of Infectious and Parasitic Diseases, 26, Yanko Sakazov Blvd., 1504 Sofia
The construction of the CoC Quasar will bring together the material, technical and human resources of 8 organizations:
- Institute of Robotics by the Bulgarian Academy of Sciences (Leading organization)
- Institute of Metal Science, Equipment and Technologies “Acad. Angel Balevski” by the Bulgarian Academy of Sciences
- “Nikola Vaptsarov” Naval Academy – Varna
- “Vasil Levski” National Military University – Veliko Tarnovo
- Technical University of Gabrovo
- Institute for Nuclear Researches and Nuclear Energy by the Bulgarian Academy of Sciences
- Sofia University “St. Kliment Ohridski”
- Association “Advanced Flight Technologies”
CoC Quasar, combining cutting-edge quantum communication topics, intelligent security and risk management systems in critical infrastructure, will be the first in both Bulgaria and the EU. The expertise of the scientists and specialists of the formed scientific team will allow the creation of innovative space in the object area of the CoC through new patents for inventions, prototypes of original products and systems of multidisciplinary importance. CoC Quasar will be the generator of new ideas which will be protected by patents and subsequently transferred to the business as specific engineering solutions with a clear market effect.
Four work packages (WPs) will be implemented within the CoC Quasar:
- 1. WP 1. Quantum communication
- 2. WP 2. Intelligent security systems
- 3. WP 3. Risk management
- 4. WP 4. Innovative multifunctional sensor technology
The main purpose of CoC Quasar is to create an advanced laboratory complex for high-quality research and development of new products in the field of artificial intelligence, sensors and robotics, to transmit information through quantum channels and to create models for events, phenomena and processes presenting a risk for the anthropogenic environment.
COC QUASAR LABORATORIES:
Sensor and Multisensor Technologies – Combined laboratory equipment, including: Multifunctional test systems, Computer-based measurement systems, Test systems and analyzers for semiconductor materials and devices, Multifunction generators, Digital multimers, Precision nano-voltmeter, Oscilloscope, etc.
High hydrostatic and uniaxial deformations – Press up to 200 tons with its accompanying components and devices for automation and control of action; Specialized drill and stand for prepared samples for laboratory tests.
Nanostructured materials – Electromagnetic system with modules for setting and controlling the temperature, with accompanying components, modules and devices for automation and management of experiments to study the semiconductor multisensors magnetic field and temperature, living room elements and vector magnetometers.
3D modeling and rapid prototyping – 3D production printers, 3D router-CNC router for wood and non-ferrous metal processing.
Intelligent sensor systems and technologies – Drone with specialized equipment for security activities; Spectrum analyzer; Tone generator; Potentiostat; Oscilloscope; Hyperspectral camera; Video encoder; Acoustic audio analyzer, etc.
Security systems – Measurement equipment – Specialized functional generators, vector and spectral analyzers and oscilloscopes for measurements in radio communications and optical communication networks.
Quantum Communication – A quantum communication platform has been built in both laboratories, including: A complete quantum key sharing system that supports transfer rate protocols using photonic polarization to encode information; Quantum Random Number Generators, Encryption Devices, Switches, and etc.
Integrated simulation complex of QUASAR –Three mutually integrated simulation centers are being built on the territory of the three partners, aimed at managing risk in different types of critical infrastructure (including ports, airports, subways, NPPs, dams, public buildings, etc.) in the event of disasters, accidents and / or crises.
The three simulation centers include the following laboratories: Communication centers; Security risk management; Disaster Management; Critical infrastructure; Marine critical infrastructure; Mobile information and communication security kit; Unmanned aerial vehicles.
Aviionics module – Specialized unmanned aerial vehicles and related equipment, including: unmanned aerial vehicles, quadricopters, multicopters, helicopters, etc..
The CoC Quasar will develop research leading to the creation of new technologies at the international level in ISIS thematic areas, as follows:
WP 1 – Long distance communication networks; Protection of information transmitted over communications networks; Protocols and traffic servicing on communications networks.
WP 2 – Analysis of current trends in the development of critical infrastructure security tools; Carrying out a study of the algorithm of work in the development of procedures for the functioning of integrated complex security systems; Development of such systems by modeling their integration.
WP 3 – Extending Security Risk Management Research; providing opportunities for expansion of augmented reality of the virtual environment by integrating information from sensor systems for different types of surveillance; Standardize processes to ensure the security of the critical infrastructure.
WP 4 – Implementation of new technologies for sensory recording of significant changes in the properties of rocks, tectonic masses and other entities leading to catastrophic changes in infrastructure – a huge breakthrough in the study of earthquakes and volcanic activity.
- Creation of an avangard technologies complex for high quality scientific researches, products and prototypes.
- Integrated information cryptosystem with multiple sources and secured by quantum cryptography network
- Applied areas: ICT, Artificial intelligence, Robotics and Sensors, transition of information trough untraditional channels, creating of models and processes with risk for anthropogenic environment
- Risk management and prevention of disasters, accidents, terrorist threats etc.
- Creating the best possible conditions for carrying out research at the highest level in one of the priority areas of the Innovation Strategy for Intelligent Specialization (ISIS)
- Increasing the level and market orientation of research activities through the digital transformation of technologies brought to commercialized and patent-protected products
Center of Competence in Personalised Medicine, 3D and Telemedicine, Robot-assisted and Minimally Invasive Surgery
Leonardo da Vinci
The project BG05M2OP001-1.002-0010 “CENTER OF COMPETENCE IN PERSONALISED MEDICINE, 3D AND TELEMEDICINE, ROBOT-ASSISTED AND MINIMALLY INVASIVE SURGERY” is funded by the “Science and education for smart growth” Operational Program and the European Regional Development Fund. The total value of the project is 23 695 179,29 BGN, of which 20 140 902,40 BGN of European and 3 554 276,89 BGN of national co-financing.
The leading organisation in the implementation of the project is Medical University – Pleven (MU-Pleven) and the main partners are Medical University “Prof. Dr. Paraskev Stoyanov “- Varna and the Institute of Robotics at the Bulgarian Academy of Science (IR-BAS). Associated partners in the construction of the Center of Competence are: “St. Marina” University Multiprofile Hospital for Active Treatment Varna; University Multiprofile Hospital for Active Treatment “Dr. Georgi Stranski” EAD Pleven; Innovation Solutions Company “5th Degree”, and Florida Hospital Cancer Institute, USA.
GOAL AND TASKS
The goal of the project is to create an innovative, high-tech and contemporary competence center in the field of personalised medicine, telemedicine and 3D medicine, robot-assisted and minimally invasive surgery, to achieve excellence in research and training of specialists in order to increase the competitiveness of the existing institutions and stimulate the entrepreneurship in the region and in the country. Over the next 10 years, the center will operate on the basis of a high-tech, innovative infrastructure including equipment and specialised software. This will create opportunities for research and development activity, transfer of new knowledge and technologies, training of students, graduates, PhD students and other medical specialists in the following fields: general surgery, gynecology, urology, otolaryngology, orthopedics, pathology, medical genetics and others.
PERSONALISED MEDICINE DEPARTMENT
The infrastructure will enable morphological and genetic tests to be performed on patients with breast, lung, colon, and ovarian cancer in order to establish pathogenetic mechansms of the diseases and signaling pathways in tumors and to identify mutations that can be targeted in their personalised treatment.
Two major laboratories will be built: Research Laboratory for Precision Oncology and Genomic Medicine and Laboratory for Precision Pathology using telepatology, morphometry and telemedicine methods
3D MEDICINE DEPARTMENT
The department is a modern research structure that will enable modeling, in silico analysis and creation by 3D printing of individual orthotics, 3D model of organs and tissue transplants.
The department activities will take place in two major laboratories: Laboratory for 3D printing, modeling and analysis and Laboratory for research and training of surgeons in a virtual reality environment VR
MINIMALLY INVASIVE SURGERY DEPARTMENT MIS
The Department will provide a structure with minimal invasive surgical interventions from otolaryngology, oncology and gynaecological practice to conduct trials of application and clinical significance.
The department activities will take place in three major laboratories: Integrated interdisciplinary operating unit with navigation and telesurgery systems; Laboratory for stereotactic vacuum aspiration biopsies and Laboratory for experimental development for the needs of MIS at the Institute of Robotics of the Bulgarian Academy of Science
ROBOT–ASSISTED SURGERY DEPARTMENT
It will upgrade and develop the robot-assisted surgery partner base for the implementation of clinical and experimental applied research projects concerning robot-assisted surgery in the field of gynaecology, surgery and urology. The da Vinci Si robotic system available in MU-Pleven will be upgraded and further developed for research and development activity. A robotic system will be purchased for the needs of the major partner Medical University – Varna and a robotic simulator will be invented for experimental scientific activity.
The department activities will take place in three major laboratories: Center of Robot-Assisted Surgery at Medical University – Pleven; Center of Robot-Assisted Surgery at Medical University –Varna and Experimental Laboratory of Robot-Assisted Surgery at the Bulgarian Academy of Science
The main activities for the project realisation are: organisation and management of the project; building a new and modernisation of existing infrastructure; conducting research, development and innovation activities; circulation of research results, protection of intellectual property, transfer of knowledge and technology and development of human resources; publicity and visualisation and audit of the project.
The project starting date is on 26.07.2018 and its deadline is on 31.12.2023.
Center of Excellence in Informatics and Information and Communication Technologies
The main objective of the project is the establishment of a Center of Excellence (CoE), which integrates modern research infrastructure and teams of highly qualified scientists and specialists to conduct basic and applied research of high social importance in accordance with the priorities of the thematic area of Informatics and ICT of the Innovation strategy for smart specialization of the Republic of Bulgaria.
The CoE is building infrastructure in line with the standards of the European Technology Platforms, as well as with the European Commission’s concept that electronic infrastructures are a key building block of the European Research Area. Open access policies on CPF infrastructure ensure the implementation of open science principles. The CVP infrastructure includes:
- Data Center capable of storing and processing more than 3 PB of data, in accordance with current reliability requirements for power failures and maintenance organization for capacity expansion ensuring sustainable development.
- Supercomputer complex based on the latest generation of technologies, with an emphasis on energy efficiency, peak performance over 1 PFLOP / s and 24×7 operating mode, which will enable the solution of wide range problems with high scientific and social impact.
- Laboratory for 3D Digitization and Microstructural Analysis, which includes industrial computed tomography, 3D laser scanning and dynamic process digitalisation equipment. The huge amount of data being produced will be stored and analysed using the new capabilities of the Data Center and the Supercomputer Complex.
- The Center of Excellence will establish Bulgaria as a regional leader in Informatics and ICT and enable leading multidisciplinary teams of scientists to utilize state-of-the-art high-performance computing resources, storage systems and 3D digitization tools for innovative high-tech and socio-economic effect.
The scientific infrastructure will be actively used by the academic partners of the CoE. It is also of great interest to the associate industrial partners. Open and free access will be provided to the scientific community in the country, including scientists from BAS institutes, universities and others. The CoE will provide an opportunity to work in an improved infrastructure environment for teams of researchers in the field of computational sciences, including Computational Mathematics, Computational Physics, Computational Chemistry and Pharmacy, Computational Biology, etc.
The direct impact of the Research and Development Complex of the CoE in Informatics and ICT is determined by the high scientific, scientific and applied and social importance of the projects included in the program for scientific and applied research.
The CoE will create conditions for stimulating the development of scientific capacity in Bulgaria in accordance with the highest European and world standards and promoting interdisciplinary research and approaches.
Much broader and more comprehensive is the impact of building an electronic infrastructure at the highest world level for the development of science, education and innovation in Bulgaria. The synergy of high-quality scientific approaches and innovative computing technologies will directly help to increase the capacity to transfer research results and generate innovation.
The CoE conducts research on 11 scientific projects, each using substantially the new infrastructure. The research projects include development, study and software implementation of high-performance methods and algorithms, as well as applications of state-of-the-art information technologies for solving priority problems and their application in practice. The results obtained will contribute to the development of research in areas such as the creation of new materials, pharmacy, ecology, climate change impact assessment, and more.
The CoE will actively support the accelerating of digital transformation processes and will help the smart decisions making based on Big Data analysis. Overall, the infrastructure will significantly improve the opportunities for successful participation of Bulgarian scientists in the European programs Horizon 2020 and Horizon Europe.
The greatest potential for impact of the new scientific infrastructure of the CoE is in the training of personnel in the use of state-of-the-art IT, which give a huge competitive advantage globally. The CoE’s research infrastructure creates preconditions for the development of new technologies. The possibilities of applying advanced computing and 3D digitization (Industry 4.0) to create high value-added products are practically limitless. The center will provide training and knowledge transfer services. By the end of 2023, three calls for pilot applications will be announced to be developed jointly with small and medium enterprises. They will be given free access for implementation. Good practices are expected to be established, stimulating for the rest partners and a good example of collaboration between business and science.
The synergy between supercomputer simulations, Big Data and artificial intelligence is one of the paths for major technological breakthroughs. The project integrates the Data Center – as a storage and processing environment; the High-Performance Computing Complex – as an environment for solving problems with high computational complexity; as well as a team that has the capacity to consult, participate, train, assist with work within the Data Center.
New build infrastructure
40 servers Fujitsu Primergy RX 2540 M4 with a configuration:
NVIDIA Tesla V100 32GB
128 GB RAM
CPU 2x Intel Xeon Gold 5118 2.30GHz 24 core
NVIDIA Tesla V100 32GB
Double Precision Performance: 7 TFLOPS
Single Precision Performance: 14 TFLOPS
(applications in Artificial Intelligence): 112 TFLOPS
Coordinates of the project:
CoE in Informatics and ICT
IICT–BAS, Acad. G. Bonchev str., Block 25A, office 216, 1113 Sofia
Tel.: 02 979 6311
CENTER OF COMPETENCE “INTELLIGENT MECHATRONIC, ECO-AND ENERGY-SAVING SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES”
The main activity under the project Center of competence “Intelligent mechatronic, eco–and energy-saving systems and technologies” is to carry out market-oriented research by prominent researchers and their research teams in the field of mechatronics and clean technologies. Partners for the implementation of the project are Technical University of Gabrovo; Technical University Sofia – Plovdiv branch; Technical University of Varna; Sofia University St. Kliment Ohridski – Faculty of chemistry and pharmacy; Institute of system engineering and robotics – BAS; Institute of electronics – BAS; Central laboratory of applied physics – BAS.
For its successful realization, the first stage of the project is the reconstruction and modernization of the building facilities or parts of them as well as purchasing, installing and implementing of high–tech equipment, specialized software, tools and furniture, which will help establishing full-equipped labs, training halls and working spaces. The purchased equipment in the newly constructed laboratories will be in accordance with the best world standards and practices and will allow the development of joint activities with different scientific organizations from home and abroad, as well as with business organizations, governmental and non-governmental institutions. The established, scientific infrastructure will encourage the development of applied sciences and innovations in the sphere of mechatronics and clean technologies to create economic growth, quality jobs and help people handle national, European and world challenges. Simultaneously, there will be ongoing activities for attracting leading researchers and specialists from Bulgaria and abroad who are to work together, exchange ideas and experience about the scientific studies and the training of the next generation scientific scholars.
The research activities within the Center of Competence are oriented in two main directions, “Intelligent mechatronic systems and technologies” and “Energy-saving systems and clean technologies” distributed in eight laboratory complexes:
1. «Energy–saving systems and technologies for design and production of hi–tech products» – includes four laboratories – energy–saving technologies for life cycle extension and operational security improvement of engineering products, CAD/CAM systems for design and production of high–tech products, additive and energy–saving technologies and equipment, intelligent technologies based on intense energy flows.
2. «Intelligent mechatronic measurement and control systems» – three laboratories are supplied with measuring equipment enabling the survey of underwater noises, signals and vibrations of marine vessels and equipment, systems for examining the structure and properties of materials, as well as measurement of static and dynamic values.
3. «Electronics and Sensors» includes two laboratories for development of temperature and humidity sensor elements, gases sensor elements and development of micro-electronic and microprocessor devices and systems.
4. «Distributed systems and intelligent Sensor Networks in mechatronics» – five laboratories will be supplied with state–of–the–art equipment enabling processing and storage of data from sensor networks and distributed embedded systems, processing of visual information in intelligent transport systems, as well as biosensors and data processing in systems for support of elderly people and high-risk patients.
5. «Robotics and intelligent automation systems» where the focus is on smart (intelligent) and specialized robots, autonomous aircrafts, intelligent, automated production systems and high–speed automation, inspection and interactive robotics, autonomous robots and collective robotics, special electric drives in robotics.
6. «Nanostructured materials and disperse systems in clean technologies» examination and introduction of innovative nanostructured materials and disperse systems and rheology in clean technologies.
7. «Intelligent energy–saving systems and technologies» – seven new laboratories will be opened and scientific and applied research for development of means and methods for solving energy and infrastructure problems related to mass electrical mobility will be carried out; research in the area of eco– and energy–saving contactless electric power transmitters, electric drive and electrical equipment, modern energy efficient electrical components and systems with application in the industrial sector, study of environmentally friendly, energy-saving and electromagnetically compatible photometric LED and RES components and technologies, energy efficient systems and technologies using thermal and hydraulic power and secondary and renewable energy sources, drive and positioning systems and integrated energy-saving technologies.
8. «Intelligent mechatronic systems in the means of transport and industry» – the scientific research in the five laboratories should contribute to the development of the automated manufacturing systems, robotics, industrial nanotechnologies, design, production and use of optical and laser technologies in automotive industry.
The scientific program of the project is open to the businesses, governmental and non-governmental organizations and institutions..
Project BG05M2OP001-1.002-0019: “Clean technologies for sustainable environment – waters, waste, energy for circular economy” (Clean&Circle) for creation and development of a Centre of Competence
Leading organization: Sofia University “St. Kliment Ohridski” Partners
- University of Architecture, Civil Engineering and Geodesy;
- University of Forestry – Sofia;
- “Prof. Dr. Assen Zlatarov” University – Bourgas;
- Institute of Physical Chemistry “Academician Rostislav Kaishev” – Bulgarian Academy of Sciences;
- Institute of Organic Chemistry with Center for Phytochemistry – Bulgarian Academy of Sciences;
- Institute of Microbiology “Stefan Angelov” – Bulgarian Academy of Sciences;
- “Cleantech Bulgaria” Foundation.
- Sofia Municipality
- Sofia Waste Treatment Plant;
- “Sofiyska Voda” AD,
- Interplast BG Ltd.,
- Energy Agency – Plovdiv,
- University of Modena, Italy
Total cost: 23 667 925.86 BGN
European structural and investment funds: 20 117 736.97 BGN
National co-financing: 3 550 188.89 BGN
Term of implementation: 30 March 2018 – 30 November 2023
Brief project description
The establishment of the EFFECTIVE INFRASTRUCURE includes:
- Build and equip Center of Competence “Clean and Circle” on a plot of 5000 m2, Sofia, 1 Dzheims Baucher str.;
- CoC “Clean and Circle” – 12 laboratory complexes and 1 accelerator for technological entrepreneurship and transfer;
- CoC “Clean and Circle” building – Living Lab;
- Significant modernization of laboratories in UACG and the Faculty of Phisics of SU.
The strengthening, enhancement and developing of the RESEARCH CAPACITY will be realized in three modules.
The horizontal priorities will include activities relating to the circular economy and achievement of energy and resource efficiency through:
- Innovations through efficient operation of the water and waste treatment facilities and of the water supply and sewerage networks;
- Increasing the share of the renewable and alternative energy sources by producing biogas, bioethanol, biodiesel, hydrogen, hydro power, combined with sediment bioremediation technologies and solving of crucial environmental problems;
- Recovery of resources such as phosphorus, precious and rare metals, bioremediation of sludge, soils and sediments that have accumulated toxic pollutants;
- Obtaining alternative resources – zeolite from ashes, slags, cake, new construction and composite materials from waste, RDF fuel, high quality bio-fertilizers from composting plants, microbiological detoxification preparations, etc.
The activities in the CoC will be integrated into an ELECTRONIC CLOUD for the exchange and rapid use of information of large complexes of ecological data, as well as for its structuring in dedicated electronic cards.
The STRATEGIC PROGRAM for the development of the research and innovation of the center will be accompanied by a business plan and selection of the most effective channels for economic and technological realization.
- The distance “scientific achievements” – “high education”– “real technologies” – “business” will be shortened.
- They will lead to an increase in the competitiveness of the Bulgarian economy with high ecological and social added value.
Expected research and innovation outcomes
- Analyzed and evaluated potential for energy efficiency of urban and industrial water systems.
- Creation and application of detoxification technologies for water, sediments and sludge bioremediation;
- Suggested methods for effective energy generation and use, like ultrasound substrates treatment, fuel and electrolysis cells to produce biogas and hydrogen from waste water, etc.;
- Developed, automated, verified, commercialized and implemented system for control of the methanogenesis process based on fluorescence techniques;
- Introducing of the new systems for the managemet of the eco- and clean-technologies on the base of biosensinng and biorobots;
- Established new approach for non-reactive purification of fluids heavily contaminated with heavy metals (copper) and nitrates;
- Obtaining of the new material for the innovative technologies of purification of waters and air by means of transforming of wastes;
- Obtaining of new building materials from building wastes, from ash and plastic wastes;
- Obtaining highly specielizad biofertilizars on the base of well managed composting technologies;
- Creation of sustainable ecosystem from well educated young researchers with complex multidisciplinary knowledge, skills, high qualification and inno-creative potential.
Expected benefits of project implementation
Center of Competence “Clean and circle” for development and innovations in the circular economy will be established with focus on water, energy and solid waste management. Along with the significant material part – modern infrastructure, including building and equipment, high scientific/technological/applied potential will be developed as a precondition for sustainability. The benefit of society will be the results of scientific experiments aimed at a green economy, with less use of resources, less polluting emissions and significant economic impact.
Centre of Competence DIGITIZATION OF THE ECONOMY IN AN ENVIRONMENT OF BIG DATA
The project “Digitalization of the Economy in an Environment of Big Data” aims to create a Centre of Competence and to build a science complex based on ICT excellence, to work with Big data for the purpose of digitalisation the economy in Bulgaria and to conduct research with the established infrastructure.